26 July 2007
As I reported a couple of days ago, I decided to launch a real-world experiment by setting up an online social network which I labeled Team.Triody.Com. I reported that the first weeks were quite successful in terms of member and activity growth. Here is the current update.
(1) The network has grown to 39 members. Each member has at least contributed once to the community. I would consider 10 members as relatively active on the site. Additional stats will follow later.
(2) So far, the network has received 10,788 page views and 7 groups have been created on the site by 5 different members.
(3) We have established a weekly "offline" event where in average 5 people participate. We also conducted one additional social event which took place "offline".
To date, most of the members that have joined the network are "offline" acquaintances that live and work around the area I am located at. We are currently trying to expand our members beyond the city of Lausanne. Right now, we have on person from Zurich, Switzerland and 2 people from the US.
Major findings so far:
(1) It is absolutely crucial that there are about 2 or 3 core members that keep the information sharing process alive which, in turn, makes the community attractive for new members.
(2) Off line events help to strengthen personal ties which then facilitates online interaction as well as the promotion of the site across other social circles.
Posted by Thomas Langenberg at July 26, 2007 2:13 PM